For a woman, buying a watch for a man is perhaps the equivalent of a man buying a diamond engagement ring for a woman. It can be just as confusing and challenging, especially if you have little to no knowledge about men’s watches.
Hence, if you’re trying to find the perfect watch for a gift, here are some things that you should know:
1. Know the different categories of watches
There are three main categories of men’s watches that you can choose from:
- Classic watch. Every man should have at least one classic watch in their wardrobe. This type of watch is simple and elegant, meant to be worn in casual, everyday situations along with a casual to a semi-formal outfit.
- Luxury watch. As the name suggests, this category of watches is composed of expensive timepieces whose name brands hold significant weight. Watches under this category are flashier and more elegant, and thus should be worn during special occasions or formal events.
- Sports watch. Sports watches are designed to withstand heavy physical activity. They can be worn in situations where regular watches can’t, such as during swimming, hiking, exercising, and cycling.
2. Check out watch styles
Men’s watches also come in different styles, namely:
- Dress watch. A dress watch is designed to be worn with formal wear or a suit. It is simple, thin, and elegant, mostly minimalist in design.
- Field watch. This watch style originates from WW2 trench watches. It is easy to read, functional, and durable, making it perfect for both everyday and formal wear.
- Dive watch. Water resistance, high durability, and corrosion resistance are the three significant features of the dive watch. These watches are ideal for men who engage in lots of water sports and activities near water.
- Racing watch. Racing watches are flashier and bulkier compared to dive and field watches. Thus, they are mostly meant for casual wear.
3. Find out their needs and preferences
Now that you are somewhat familiar with the different watch categories and styles, you can decide what type of watch is the best fit for your receiver. Here are some things you might want to consider when picking out a watch:
- Lifestyle. What do they do for work? What are their hobbies? Do they attend a lot of formal events? Or do they engage more in outdoor activities? Consider their everyday routine and base your decision on their needs.
- Personal style. Observe what kind of clothes they wear in different settings (e.g., casual, formal, semi-formal). This will give you a better idea of their style preferences. It is also worthy to note what colors they usually wear so you can find an excellent watch to pair with their usual clothes.
- Current watch. Of course, you don’t want to buy something they already have. So observe what watches they wear and try to find something at least a little bit different in style or color.
A watch is one of the best gifts you can give to a man. But if you don’t know what type of watch to choose, follow these pointers to make the search much more comfortable.